Parallel to the implementation of the international study of professional soccer players, the modelled Sports Injury Risk Indicator (SIRI) is also available for (top) athletes. Participation in the study provided a good, scientifically based understanding of the role of occlusal and dental problems in the interrelationship with increased sports injury susceptibility among athletes.
Patrick Himschoot (a well-known trainer of top athletes and connected to the Flemish Topsportschool for Athletics in Ghent, Belgium) and Cedric of Branteghem cooperated in the mini documentary about the current research project. As an Olympic athlete, Cedric had undergone a special dental correction which had led to significant reduction of his sports injury susceptibility. Patrick promised that if the SIRI for Athletes scientifically proved to be a predictive tool, he would recommend our protocol to every athlete and coach for quick and effective insight into different aspects of their sports injury susceptibility.
The researchers very much appreciated their participation in the study of the fifty plus top athletes from the aforementioned school who were trained by Patrick himself. Additionally, several athletes accompanied by other trainers participated. The second (clinical) phase of the research project was completed in March 2012 in Belgium. All results are due to be presented on 13 October at the Sports Congress in Ghent.
Start of research
End of research
Dr. Arnold Goedhart, Head of UB4M Research | LUMC (NL)
Prof. Dr. John Flutter, DDS (GB)
Henny Solleveld PT. PhD (NL)
- Professional athletes on a national and international level
- Ages 16 to 32
- A small group of promising amateurs can also be allowed to participate under certain circumstances
Fixed research segments
- Digital intake (Sports Risk Injury Indicator)
- Radiological dental examination (OPT)
- Registration of occlusal functions and characteristics (patterns of the stomatognathic motor adaptive syndrome)
- Research into the static and dynamic postural stress (computer registration)
- Individual analysis and advice
- Population analysis
- Final evaluation